The Department of Engineering Services in collaboration with Policy and Planning Division, Ministry of Works and Human Settlement organized two-day National Conference on Sustainable Solid Waste Management on 27- 28 October 2014 with support from UNDP ,Bhutan. The main objectives of the conference are to:
Bring together all the individuals and groups to discuss on the issues and challenges facing authorities in terms of solid waste management and related environmental impacts
- Serve as a forum for the presentation, discussion, and way forward on solid waste management in the Thromdes and Dzongkhags.
- Identify knowledge gaps and familiarize the participants on the current technologies available for solid waste management through interactive presentation and discussions on selected case studies
- One of the main problems with the municipalities is the lack of human resource capacity because of which the municipal solid waste management (MSWM) is quite poor. This conference will serve to educate and expose those engineers working in the municipalities so that they become more aware and confident in initiating new management strategies
- Discuss on the existing government policies and also explore ways in strengthening the institutions on solid waste management.
- Identify appropriate technologies which are practical and sustainable in the context of Bhutan. This conference may invite and call for papers from private individuals through the media to showcase innovative ideas and technologies on Solid Waste Management.
Municipal Engineers and Environment Officers from Dzongkhags and Thromdes, agencies,NGOs and CSOs participated in the conference.